Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Papa's Memorial


This past weekend we went up to Victoria again for my Papa's memorial. It was bittersweet because I got to see all my sisters and cousins but I kept waiting for Papa to show up. Altogether it was a fast weekend but I really enjoyed meeting all sorts of people who knew and loved my Papa. We ate too much,talked a lot and shed a few tears. It is exactly the kind of thing Papa would have loved to go to. We also went to Papa's grave site which was so nice. (He is under the board) All the grandchildren gave him flowers and Grayson gave on for my brother Jordan. He is serving in Argentina and said that there was no place he would rather be at this time. My Papa chose to be cremated (Nana will be too when she dies) so he could be buried with my Nana and her parents. At first my sister was upset and had a hard time understanding if it was ok but then my dad reminded us all it wouldn't matter in 100 years anyways because either way he would eventually end up the same way. Plus my Papa is so much more now. I will remember him full of life and love.


I loved seeing my sisters. Angie and Sara flew out from Ottawa and Katie came with my parents. We took a few snapshot of ourselves and then we took some more that were less.... uh proper.

Sara and her eye patch. Don't even ask!


Now Katie is going to kill me for this next pic but it is hilarious. Jess and Lexi went on a walk and Lexi brought back a rose for Katie. I guess she thought it was a rose for her nose or it was too small. Either way I cracked a rib because I laughed so hard when I took this.

Here are all the grandchildren of David Champion Smart.
Everyone is here except Jordan. Grayson kindly stood in for him!


Grayson Michel, Diana Smart Michel, Jade Taylor (Eileen and Matt) Sara Smart, Ned Taylor (Eileen and Matt), Angie Smart Morgan, Katie Smart


Jessica Smart (Greg and Wendi) Diana Smart Michel

Alexis Smart(Greg and Wendi), Diana Smart Michel, Nana

Here is my favorite girl. She was hiding while play texting on my phone.

Jessica is by far the sweetest little tart. She is so good natured and happy as can be. She was so excited to come out but she was concerned too. She even asked if she had to bring her shovel out to help bury Papa. She wanted to make sure it was done right. How precious. For being so young (4) she was surprisingly aware of what was going on. She knew Papa was in heaven and even told her dad Greg that Papa would not be lonely because he was going to live with Heavenly Father and Bob. I was like what? But then I remembered our neighbor Bob who passed away earlier this year. He loved the little girls and obviously made quite an impression on Jess. She was sure he and Papa would be good friends.
Throughout this whole experience I have realized a few things:
1. Life is too short to waste
2. Heavenly Father really does have a plan and
3. In the end it is your family that will be with you forever!
I am so blessed to have such good parents and relatives and I am so happy to be able to spend eternity with them!!




And now on a different note....
Yesterday was Grayson's first day of school. I almost felt like a proud mama. Here's to 3 years of a bazillion hours studying, late night homework, cold dinners and less scrapbook supplies for me. I know.... I am suffering but I can handle the heat for a while.




















3 comments:

The Keelers said...

I love your new background it is super cute! It must have been fun to see your sisters again :) When are you coming to visit?

Jess said...

Oh that was a really sweet memorial! Jess and lexi are so big I can hardly recognise them. I'm glad that all your sis'tahs could make it out. Tell Grayson good luck with school. Say Hi to Kins and Dust when you see them this weekend!

The Brandleys said...

How sweet... I'm kinda tearing up. I bet it was a wonderful time. It's bittersweet that funerals bring people together like that. Tell Grayson not to neglect you too much while he studies! miss you!