Thursday, May 14, 2009

Officially Obsessed


I'm gonna let you in on a little secret....I am kinda self conscious. Yep I am sometimes excessively conscious of my appearance. Sometimes I even worry about what message I am sending others. Do they think I am nice or mean? Pretty or not? Funny or so not funny? I think we all have a little bit of this feeling inside but lately mine has surfaced a lot more than usual.

I guess it all started in 2nd grade... I don't think I cared about what I looked like or what I did back then. I was a carefree child with fuzzy hair and second hand clothes andI thought I was a princess. I was even convinced I was named after one (I can't remember if I ever actually asked my mom if I was....I just told everyone that and I'm gonna stick to that story) Anyway back to 2nd grade. My elementary school had a loft where you could climb up a ladder and read books on pillows and relax. There was a pole that you could slide down too. It was there that I first learned about what a period was (the non grammatical kind) and I rejected the first boy who ever had a crush on me (I now regret that cause he was so totally cute by 6th grade) But one day something happened. I fell down the ladder and hit every rung with my two front teeth. I think I knocked myself around enough that my self consciousness got loose. Suddenly I was tragically aware of how I looked...which is understandable since my teeth now looked like Goofy's and my face was swollen and sore. However soon enough my scars were healed and I was kind of back to my worry free self.

My appearance changed dramatically over the years. My favorite outfit in 4th grade was a tye dyed shirt with fluorescent pink leggings and multicolored socks and shoes (dude it was the late 80s) By 6th grade I was a blue jean girl with a love for graphic T's (my personal fave was the one that said "If it wasn't for boys, I quit school") In 8th grade I got my first pair of Lucky Jeans which were $80 and counted for two birthdays. It was also when I was a full grown nerd with glasses and braces. Those were the years when I again became extremely aware of what I looked like. A little more self consciousness leaked out. But again I was still a princess and would overcome. I started to get really good looking in 10th grade and I experienced my first kiss, my first boyfriend and my first heartbreak. For the next few years of high school I was totally cool with my appearance. A few more kisses and heartbreaks brought me to my senior year where I excelled in wearing sweats and plain T's while still appearing pretty. I even had a real life 6 pack from the 200 sit ups I did everynight and the occasional rollerblade around Henderson. In college I managed to be the co founder of the Date Every State Program (Stick up, Renee!) and I ran wild among the love birds.

But I guess I got careless... I never washed my face and I ate Pringles and candy corn late into the night (in my defense I was a sleep eater as much as a sleep walker and talker). The pounds slowly appeared but vansihed as soon as I started to do something about them. It was then that I developed a slightly gray shade on my afore mentioned front teeth. My poor tooth had finally died after years of whiteness. It was at that time that I started checking myself out in the mirror more. I bought whitening strips and toothpaste. I cried alone in the night at the loss of my near perfection and it all went down hill from there. I gained a little weight and bit my nails more. I began to notice small imperfections throughout my frame and before I knew it I was spending my free time in front of my closet door and mirrors. I did get a venear for my front tooth but the color was off and still grayish. I finally came home from college after three years and one huge broken spirit. I had experienced a devistating loss and kinda went into a slump. (I did however get back down to a size four as I mourned my loss) I met Grayson shortly after returning home and soon I was in love and began again obsessing about my appearance (dang self image issues). For 2 years I wondered day and night if Gray liked me and if he thought I was cute. I wondered if I could shed the 10 lbs I gained from our weekend outtings and I continued in my old ways...rarely washing off my make up and liking my sweats a little too much.

And now to the present.... 25 lbs heavier than college and wrinkled in noticeable places. As I have started to eat better and exercise (still kicking my white butt) I have realized that I kind of let myself go. I felt somewhat comfortable with myself again and loved my snacks a lot. I mean you only live once right? So after 26.5 years of living I now worry constantly about my appearance and spend countless hours evaluating my forehead wrinkles. I look at my side profile and sigh when I realize it is going to be a long road to my former near perfectness. And I have come to the conclusion that when I do reach that state again I will probably get prego right away and begin the process all over again. So here is the big news...I am sick of worrying about how I look. I will lose weight and I will conquer my wrinkles. I will enjoy my life and love my body. I will take it one day at a time. I will think of my appearance less and of others more. And I will overcome...as soon as I can stop obsessing about being overly self conscious!

5 comments:

The Brandleys said...

You lady have nothing to be self concious about! And can I say I wish I would've kept my map! how elseam I to prove to my kids how their father ruined my streak when I was only halfway there.

girluntitled said...

well at least you had confidence at one point in ur life. i'm still trying to find mine. it ran away when the boys pointed out my big nose in grade 6 and hasn't come back yet. the nerve!

Jess said...

What the heck are you talking about??? You are still a hottie. Just wait until you've had two kids... things just don't go back to where they were. I'm sorry about you're baby name. Still use it! Who cares! It'll be spelt different. Miss you!

Mamasmart said...

You will always be my princess. And for the record; you are gorgeous and no one even notices all the thing that you notice about yourself. Case in point: I told someone the other day how I've always hated my sticking out ear and my crooked teeth and they looked at me and said, "huh??" So let that inner beauty shine through and love yourself every day.

Diana said...

OK OK but you are my mother and you have to say that. But true that...I don't ever notice your ear or teeth